Jackson County Sheriff Law Enforcement School-Based Initiative
It is the mission of the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, through its Junior Deputy Academy, to teach 5th graders the dangers that they may face in response to the current vaping epidemic, the most serious adolescent public-health crisis our country has faced in the last decade.Our goal is to slow down and eventually stop the teen vaping epidemic and to prevent young children from starting to use flavored e-cigarettes including such products as JUUL, Blu, and other style Vape pens.
The goal is to Increase student awareness of vaping and its effects on the body:
• Learn that second-hand smoke can be just as harmful to the body as the actual act of vaping.
• Understand the correlation between vaping usage and cancer.
• Recognize that e-cigarettes (vaping) have not been proven to be any safer than smoking traditional tobacco products.
• Increase awareness that nicotine in any form is a highly addictive drug.
• Understand that e-cigarette products are operated by a battery and contain a heating element and that there is a likelihood that they can explode and cause serious injuries or death.
• Understand that e-cigarette products are unregulated by the ood and Drug Administration and contain added chemicals that could have long-term health effects.
The gains made in preventing youth from smoking cigarettes have been lost with increased vaping among youth. Vaping is unhealthy and has been shown to lead to other unhealthy behaviors.
Educate the students that self-control and avoiding peer pressure are the most important part of not using nicotine products.
• Understand that peer pressure can also be a good thing by having friends, teachers, and parents help you avoid getting involved with nicotine products.
• Know that schools have policies pertaining to the use of nicotine products on school grounds, at school activities, and other school-related functions.
• Understand that there are consequences associated with being caught using nicotine products during school hours at any school-related functions (on or off school grounds).
Click on the window icon (upper right corner) of the map below to expand. List of all program locations is included with expanded view of map. Locations are also listed on this page below the map.